Ukrainian War: Over 30 Dead and 100 Injured in Russian Rocket Attack on Kramatorsk Railway Station, Local Officials Say | world news

More than 30 people were killed and more than 100 injured in a Russian rocket attack on a train station in eastern Ukraine, according to local officials.

Thousands of civilians were at the Kramatorsk train station trying to evacuate to safer parts of the war-torn country, the governor of the Donetsk region said.

It comes as Russian forces in the north have fully withdrawn from Ukraine as attention shifts further east of the country, according to British military intelligence.

Ukrainian news live: Putin’s spokesperson’s confession causes shock

Further west towards kyiv, more than 300 people are believed to have been killed by Russian forces at Bucha – 50 of whom were executed.

Moscow has denied targeting civilians and said verified footage of bodies in the city was staged by the Ukrainian government to derail peace talks.

But just 25 km down the road, a similar situation is unfolding in Borodyanka, according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

Key developments:

  • Rocket attack on Kramatorsk train station kills over 30, local officials say
  • Australia sends armored vehicles to Ukraine
  • Ukraine asks NATO leaders for “weapons, weapons and weapons”
  • Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov denies war crimes
  • US sanctions Russian military shipbuilding and diamond mining companies

“They wanted to sow panic and fear”

Ukrainian officials have accused Russia of carrying out a deadly rocket attack on a train station where thousands of civilians were trying to flee to safety, and more than 30 people were reportedly killed.

More than 100 people were reportedly injured in the blast at Kramatorsk railway station in the northern part of Donetsk Oblast in eastern Ukraine.

Pavlo Kyrylenko, the governor of the Donetsk region, said: “The ‘Rashists’ (‘Russian fascists’) knew very well where
they aimed and what they wanted: they wanted to sow panic and fear, they wanted to take as many civilians as possible”.

Russia did not immediately comment on reports of the attack and the death toll. Moscow has denied targeting civilians since invading Ukraine.

Russia guilty of “heinous crimes”, according to the Ukrainian president

In his overnight presidential address, Mr Zelenskyy said the toll of damage and killings at Borodyanka was becoming clearer.

“The work of dismantling the rubble in Borodyanka has started… It’s much worse there,” he said.

“Even more victims of the Russian occupiers.

“And what will happen when the world learns the whole truth about what the Russian army did in Mariupol? There, in almost every street, is what the world saw in Bucha and other cities of the Kyiv region after the withdrawal of Russian troops.

“The same cruelty. The same heinous crimes.”

He provided no further evidence or details of Russian killings in the city.

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player


2:45

Sky News returns to Bucha

Russian forces withdrew from Bucha last week under pressure from Ukrainian forces, but relief at their departure quickly turned to grief when the scale of the killings in the town became apparent.

They have been widely condemned by the West as war crimes, pushing for tougher sanctions against Russia.

Satellite imagery shows bodies lying in a street for weeks and many were found with their hands tied behind their backs, suggesting they were executed.

Meanwhile, Ukraine has said it intends to establish up to ten humanitarian corridors to evacuate civilians trapped on
Friday, but that civilians attempting to flee besieged Mariupol will have to use private vehicles.

It comes as Russian forces in the north have now fully withdrawn from Ukraine towards Belarus and Russia, according to British military intelligence.

Many of these forces will require a “significant replenishment” before they are ready to deploy further east, with any massive redeployment from the north likely to take at least a week minimum, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) said on Friday.

In this image from video provided by the Ukrainian Presidential Press Office, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy speaks from Kyiv, Ukraine, Wednesday, April 6, 2022. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Office via AP) PIC:AP
Picture:
The Ukrainian president did not provide any further evidence or details about the Russian killings at Borodyanka. Photo: AP

Images of Bucha “staged”, according to Russia

The war has now entered its seventh week and has seen millions flee Ukraine, thousands dead, thousands injured and once-thriving cities reduced to rubble.

Moscow says one of the goals of its military campaign is to ‘liberate’ largely Russian-speaking places such as the southern port of Mariupol from the threat of genocide by Ukrainian nationalists, who it says have used civilians as human shields .

However, these claims have been widely dismissed as a baseless pretext for invading Russia.

Spokesperson for Vladimir Putin, speaking in his first broadcast interview with UK media since the start of the invasion, told Sky News the footage coming from Bucha was a “well-staged innuendo, nothing more”.

Dmitry Peskov told Sky’s Mark Austin that “we live in a time of fakes and lies” and that verified photos and satellite images of dead civilians on the streets of Ukrainian cities were a “bold fake”.

“We deny that the Russian military could have anything in common with these atrocities and that dead bodies were shown on the streets of Bucha,” he told Sky News.

Analysis: Kremlin admits cost of war but won’t face alleged war crimes

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Putin spokesman’s claims dismissed as lies

“A Catalog of Russian Lies”

Critics accused Mr Peskov of “inhabiting a parallel universe” and peddling a “catalogue of lies”.

MP Tom Tugendhat, chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, called the interview a “catalogue of lies” from an “extraordinary administration” known for its “deceit and fraud”.

Christopher Steele, the former head of MI6’s Russia desk, accused Russian leaders of “living in an Alice in Wonderland world”.

He said the question is whether Mr Peskov and his colleagues “actually believe what they say, or whether they don’t and are just being cynical”.

“Because if they believe it, I think we have a real problem moving forward in all the negotiations.”

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

The Russians bomb the village

Russia suspended from Human Rights Council

In a symbolic move, the United Nations General Assembly on Thursday suspended Russia from the UN Human Rights Council, expressing its “grave concern over the ongoing humanitarian and human rights crisis”. .

Mr Zelenskyy called it an “important step” as he urged the West to continue its “coordinated pressure” on the Kremlin.

He said: “The Russian state and the Russian army are the greatest threat on the planet to freedom, human security, the concept of human rights as such. After Bucha, it is already obvious.”

Follow the Daily podcast onapple podcast, google podcast, Spotify,Loud speaker

Russia is only the second country to have its membership rights removed from the Rights Council.

The other, Libya, was suspended in 2011 by the assembly when unrest in the country toppled Muammar Gaddafi.